March 17th is a date typically accompanied by the smells of corned beef and cabbage, the sound of bagpipes, and a whole lot of green.
This St. Patrick’s Day, find the money at the end of the efficiency rainbow!
Here are some easy ways to Go Green by energy saving choices you can make throughout the day:
- Turn off lights when you leave a room.
- Turn the water off when brushing your teeth.
- Bicycle, walk, ride the bus, or carpool to the office.
- Still a bit chilly outside or in your office? Open the blinds and let the sunshine in. Layer up rather than raising the dial on the thermostat or turning on the space heater.
- Bring a water bottle with you to stay hydrated throughout the day instead of going through multiple plastic bottles.
- Avoid plastic bags when shopping and bring along a reusable shopping bag. Don’t have one? Many stores sell them at an inexpensive price.
- Take a few extra seconds to locate the recycling bin instead of tossing all your items in the trash.
- Stop junk mail by calling to remove your name from the mailing list or go online to unsubscribe.
- Heard of a phantom or vampire load? Many appliances and electronics consume energy when not in use simply by remaining plugged in. Unplug them or invest in a smart power strip.
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with LED’s, which not only last for years but use less energy and produce more light.
Going green is more than just the Luck O’ the Irish – it’s about making smart energy choices. Be sure to visit NEED’s Energy Efficiency & Energy Management page for curriculum and activities to inspire being green all year round.