Science that Sparks: The NEED Conference
Tri-State, an electric cooperative, in conjunction with The National Energy Education Development (NEED) Project, offers a conference to provide educators with the most up-to-date information on all aspects of energy so they may implement hands-on lessons in their classrooms.
- June 23-25, 2020 at Tri-State headquarters in Westminster, Colorado
- Available to 4th-12th grade teachers who are Tri-State member systems’ electric co-op members
- Educators receive:
- Hands-on Science of Energy kit for the classroom ($300 value)
- Professional development credit
- STEM curriculum regarding the science of energy, sources of energy, electricity efficiency and The NEED Project has over 30 years of energy education and curriculum development experience
- Assistance meeting math and language arts Common Core Standards
- Most travel expenses are covered, including lodging, meals and transportation
- Apply at tristate.coop/NEEDapplication
Schedule, June 23-25, 2020
TUE., JUNE 23, DAY 1
08:00 Registration and hot breakfast
08:30 Welcome, introductions, Energy Bingo
09:30 Science of Energy
Learn about the different forms of energy
and explore inquiry activities designed to teach these concepts.
11:30 Story Behind the Switch
Participate in this hair-raising electric safety program that can be facilitated in your
very own classroom. 12:15 Lunch at Tri-State
01:00 Energy Roundup
Explore properties and characteristics of the ten major sources of energy.
01:15 Baseload Balance Activity
02:00 Tour of Tri-State Operations and Energy Markets
04:00 JM Shafer Tour discussion
Check into hotel, dinner on your own
WED., JUNE 24, DAY 2
08:00 Field trip: Tour of J.M. Shafer Generating Station, Ft. Lupton, Colorado
11:00 Electric Connections
Understanding the electricity generation mix in the United States.
11:20 Global Trading Game
Consider energy, environment and
economics inter-relationships between entities and countries.
12:30 Lunch at Tri-State
01:00 Energy Enigma
Apply what you’ve leaned so far in this critical- thinking activity.
02:15 Exploring coal and natural gas
Learn more about coal and natural gas using NEED activities.
04:15 Science of Electricity Model
Build a Science of Electricity demonstration for your classroom.
05:30 Dinner at Tri-State HQ
THU., JUNE 25, DAY 3
08:00 Exploring wind and solar
Explore the generation of electricity using wind and solar power.
09:15 Tri-State’s cooperative way
09:45 Introduction to Energy Efficiency and Conservation
Understand the simple, low-cost ways to reduce energy consumption and the science behind energy efficiency.
10:30 Energy House
Learn about efficiency, conservation and economic returns by building and insulating a cardboard house.
12:30 Lunch and networking with Tri-State Staff
02:00 Exploring the NEED website
Curriculum available to teachers.
02:45 Energy Jeopardy