Dominion Energy Solar for Students
Dominion Energy has partnered with The National Energy Development Project (NEED) for over 3 decades to offer energy education curriculum and training to teachers and students. In 2015, Dominion Energy and NEED partnered to bring Virginia schools, museums and cultural institutions the Dominion Energy Solar for Students program that installed photovoltaic installations and provided hands-on solar kits and teacher workshops for four schools. Over the last four years, an additional fourteen schools and cultural institutions have received photovoltaic systems, teacher training and solar curriculum. NEED is proud to partner with NCi, of Richmond, Virginia, for installation of these photovoltaic systems.
Dominion Energy Solar for Students Program provides:
- 1.2 kilowatt photovoltaic system that converts sunlight into electric power, often referred to as “solar on a stick”
- An online monitoring tool, to provide real-time data on the system’s activity and the amount of electricity generated
- A online data display to show teachers, students, parents, and school visitors the output of the system
- Solar Energy training for classroom teachers and school personnel
- Virginia SOL focused solar curriculum and hands-on kits that will teach students how solar works and how energy, the environment and economics are all part of energy decision making.
- A Solarbration to cut the ribbon and showcase the school’s new installation to the local community
- Connections to other Solar for Students program participants to share data, partner on projects and expand learning
- K-12 public schools or educational non-profit organizations with STEM (science/technology/engineering/math) programming in the regions of North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia where Dominion Energy provides electric service.
- Schools that have full support of school board, superintendent and school administration for both the installation of the photovoltaic system, as well as curriculum and teacher training.
- Teaching staff who are committed to teaching students about the value of solar energy and exploring energy in class, monitoring the data from the installation, and integrating a deeper understanding of energy into the school.
- The school site will be surveyed for eligibility including space of installation area, access to full sunlight, access to electrical interconnection in the school building, safety and security.
Solar for Students Schools by Year
Click the links to view live solar data being collected by the schools solar array.
Using the NEED Schools Going Solar Curriculum and the entire suite of NEED solar kits, teachers and students learn about solar energy for heating, lighting, and electricity generation.
Photos from some of Dominion’s Programs
Please email email@example.com with any questions about the Dominion Energy Solar for Students Program.