October 14-20, 2012
Take part in an amazing week celebrating the natural world and geosciences. The theme of ESW 2012, “Discovering Careers in the Earth Sciences,” aims to engage young learners and the public in investigating how geoscientists gather and interpret data about the Earth and other planets.
What do geoscientists do?
- Discover energy resources
- Ensure our water supply is plentiful and clean
- Improve agriculture
- Predict, prepare and help mitigate the effects of natural disasters
- Study climate patterns and changes
- Improve the quality of our lives
- And much, much more!
The activities and resources available for ESW 2012 hope to boost awareness of the many career and job opportunities available in the world of geoscience. NEED is proud to partner with the American Geosciences Institute to provide support and an activity for use in the classroom during ESW 2012. Visit the ESW website to check out our activity and many others from AGI’s partner organizations! Check out the list of links below for some of the many highlights of ESW 2012.
- Visit the Earth Science Website: www.earthsciweek.org
- Order an ESW2012 Toolkit for your classroom: https://www.earthsciweek.org/materials/index.html; This kit has plenty of activities and information to make participation in ESW2012 EASY, fun and educational for you and your students. The kit includes everything from posters to a great wall calendar to temporary tattoos!
- Calendar of events and related resources:
October 15, 2012 – Earth Science Literacy Day – www.earthscienceliteracy.org
October 16, 2012 – No Child Left Inside Day – https://www.earthsciweek.org/ncli/index.html
October 17, 2012 – National Fossil Day – https://www.nps.gov/subjects/fossilday/index.htm
October 18, 2012 – Women in the Geosciences Day – www.awg.org
October 19, 2012 – Geologic Map Day – www.earthsciweek.org/geologicmap
- Student Contests: www.earthsciweek.org/contests; Encourage your students to enter these art, essay, and photo contests.
- Classroom Activities: www.earthsciweek.org/forteachers/classroomactivities.html; Check out this fantastic list of activities that cover virtually ANY Earth Science topic and fit your classroom standards. NEED’s own Exploring Porosity activity can be found here among many others from the amazing ESW 2012 partner organizations.
- Celebrate ESW 2012 with NASA in your classroom: https://climate.nasa.gov/esw2012
- Highlight a few heroes in the conservation world: https://www.fws.gov/refuges/about/ConservationHeroes/